Visit Bristol Exceeds SEO Goals with the Help of New Mind | tellUs
22nd February 2017
Categories: DMS Homepage News
Enveloped in the hills of South West England, the city of Bristol has a distinctive identity with a rich and colourful past which is reinforced today by its passionate locals and spirited fans. The destination is famed for its maritime history and its reputation as a source of inspiration for writers, film directors, artists, scientists, musicians and architects.
New Mind | tellUs has been working with Destination Bristol since 2006. Launched in April 2015, the current tourism site, www.visitbristol.co.uk broke the mould in terms of its design and functionality. Visit Bristol was the first New Mind | tellUs client to use a more flexible tile layout, allowing the destination to showcase a whole range of messages including videos, tweets, special offers and Instagram photos.
However, this major redevelopment involved a radical restructure and a significant reduction in content, which had a detrimental effect on the site's SEO performance.
Following the re-launch of www.visitbristol.co.uk, the restructure and reduction of content meant that the web site experienced a fall in traffic and a number of SEO technical challenges needed to be resolved in order to reverse this. Destination Bristol realised that they needed to employ external SEO expertise in order to tackle the complex challenges ahead.
New Mind | tellUs was contracted to deliver a comprehensive SEO campaign, plus a 12 month maintenance contract. Working together, the team set out to achieve the following goals:
- a return to a top 3 ranking for the site's main landing pages
- an immediate increase in the site's organic traffic and ongoing growth
- to be way ahead of minimum SEO guidelines
- to be Google Panda and Penguin penalty proof in the future
New Mind | tellUs recommended an SEO strategy which included:
- restructuring the site for improved semantic SEO and user experience
- suggesting content improvements - advising on minimum content guidelines (optimum content length, user-intent signals, key word variation and content structure)
- streamlining its backlink profile - redirecting old 404 pages and re-funnelling the SEO value back to key landing pages
- identifying new traffic/content opportunities to attract more long-tail traffic
The SEO campaign had an immediate impact on the site's performance achieving the following:
- organic traffic returned back to growth within 3 months of the implementation of the SEO strategy and then went on to see a 15% increase for the second half of 2016, despite increasing competition in the e-tourism sector from Google Destinations and TripAdvisor
- major increases in organic traffic on the following pages were achieved:
- Restaurants - 1132%
- City Centre - 959%
- Family friendly Accommodation- 530%
- Whats On - 140%
- Conferences - 78%
- Family friendly - 42%
- Shopping - 24%
Laura Valentine of Visit Bristol comments "Carl and the team at New Mind | tellUs have been great in helping us to achieve and exceed our SEO and organic ranking goals and have been extremely helpful every step of the way. The information and advice which they have provided has been thorough, fast and easy to understand and nothing is too much trouble. We look forward to continuing our relationship and seeing even more improvements."